Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Salary Arbitration

Nowhere but in professional sports can someone's performance be so atrocious, yet still receive (on average for a first time eligible player) a salary increase that is five-fold. Case in point: In 2008, my beloved Atlanta Braves' right fielder, Jeff Francoeur, posted career-lows in batting average (.239), home-runs (11), and slugging percentage (.359), and in doing so collected a salary of $460,000. Granted, he is a good right fielder, who has won a gold glove and has led the majors in outfield assists since his major league debut. But, he has a tendency to be a rally killer who can not (or will not) take a walk. It got so bad last summer, that the Braves sent him to the minors to try to make the necessary adjustments at plate that needed to take place. Three days later, Francoeur was recalled, only to continue in the mire. And so despite his wretched performance in 2008, Mr. Francoeur is arbitration eligible, which means he will receive at least some kind of (very large) salary increase. The Braves have appearantly offered "Frenchy" $2.8million, while he is asking for $3.95million. I'm sure Mr. Francoeur is a classy guy, and I sincerely hopes he can find his way at the plate again, but I must say that I can only hope that my employer would be so generous to me should my work performance go into the tank...

No comments: